- 2023. "The Determinants of Terrorist Listing." (coauthored with Yasutaka Tominaga) Journal of Conflict Resolution (doi.org/10.1177/002200272311649242)
- 2022. "Introducing A New Dataset on Designated Terrorist Organizations (DTO)." (coauthored with Yasutaka Tominaga and Mengting Lyu) Journal of Peace Research 59(5): 756--766.
- 2022. "Why Do Terrorists Target the Energy Industry? A Review of Kidnapping, Violence and Attacks against Energy Infrastructure." Energy Research & Social Science 87: 102459.
- 2022. "Petro-Friends: Foreign Ownership of Oil and Leadership Survival." The British Journal of Politics and International Relations 24(2): 343–360.
- 2021. "When Disasters Hit Civil Wars: Natural Resource Exploitation and Rebel Group Resilience." (coauthored with Yasutaka Tominaga) International Studies Quarterly 65 (2): 423–434.
- 2020. “Crisis and Contract Breach: The Domestic and International Determinants of Expropriation.” (coauthored with Nathan Jensen, Noel Johnston, Chia-yi Lee, and Hadi Sahin) Review of International Organizations 15: 869–898.
- 2020. “Do Women Favor Foreign Direct Investment?” (co-authored with Mi Jeong Shin) Politics & Gender 16 (2): 525–551.
- 2019. “China’s Energy Diplomacy: Does Chinese Foreign Policy Favor Oil Producing Countries?” Foreign Policy Analysis. 15 (4): 570–588.
- 2019. “Labor Market Institutions and Outward Foreign Direct Investment in OECD Countries.” (co-authored with Mi Jeong Shin) International Interactions. 45 (5): 781–803.
- 2018. “Oil and Terrorism: Uncovering the Mechanisms.” Journal of Conflict Resolution. 62 (5): 903–928.
- 2016. “Improving Reputation BIT by BIT: Bilateral Investment Treaties and Foreign Accountability.” (co-authored with Noel P. Johnston) International Interactions 42 (3): 429-451.
- 2015. “Terrorism, Counterterrorism Aid, and Foreign Direct Investment.” Foreign Policy Analysis.
- 2015. “Chinese Outward Investment in Oil and Its Economic and Political Impact in Developing Countries.” Issues & Studies 51 (3): 131–163. [download article (copyrights belong to Issues & Studies)]
- 2015. “State Capitalism and FDI Expropriation in Latin America.” (In Chinese, co-authored with Tsung-han Tsai) Taiwanese Political Science Review 19 (2): 133-172.
- 2013. “Democracy, Civil Liberties, and Hostage-taking Terrorism.” Journal of Peace Research 50 (2): 235-248
- 2007. “The Structural Factors Affecting the Occurrence of International Terrorism in the Post-Cold War Era—Applying Event History Analysis.” (co-authored with Min-hua Hunag). Soochow Journal of Political Science 25 (3): 1–49. (In Chinese)
- “Energy and Critical Infrastructure Security: The Case of Taiwan.” In Spruds, Andris, Una Aleksandra Berzina- Cerenkova, Sintija Broka ed. Hybrid Threats in Baltics and Taiwan: Commonalities, Risks and Lessons for Small Democracies, pp. 47–56.
- “US Blacklist on Huawei: Leverage for the US-China Trade Talks?” (with Lyu Mengting) RSIS Commentary CO19111.
- “US ’Terrorist’ Labelling of IRGC: A Futile Move?” (with Lyu Mengting) RSIS Commentary CO19103.
- “Foreign Direct Investment in ASEAN and Its Policy Challenges.” In Tomoo Kikuchi and Masaya Sakuragawa ed. Financial Cooperation in East Asia, pp. 36–44.
- “G20 in Buenos Aires: End of US-China Trade War?” (with Su-Hyun Lee) RSIS Commentary CO18206.
- “Trump’s Asia Trip: Inconsistent US Foreign Policy?” (with Su-Hyun Lee) RSIS Commentary CO17217.
- “G20 Summit in Hamburg: End of US Global Leadership?” RSIS Commentary CO17134.
- “The Trump Era and the Trade Architecture in the Asia Pacific.” (with Su-Hyun Lee) RSIS Policy Report.
- “G20 in China: Effective or Irrelevant?” RSIS Commentary CO16232.
- “Resurgent Terrorism in Southeast Asia: Impact On the Economy” RSIS Commentary CO16012.
- “The TPP and WTO: A Win-win or Zero-sum Situation?” (with Su-Hyun Lee) RSIS Commentary CO15222.
- “Economic Legacy of Lee Kuan Yew: Lessons for Aspiring Countries” (with Pradumna Bickram Rana) RSIS Commentary CO15073.
- “Falling Oil Price: An Opportunity for Asia?” RSIS Commentary CO15001.